In the UK we don’t really seem to understand that Dental care and the quality of our dental care is directly linked to our healthcare. What happens in our mouth, how we look after our oral care, is directly linked to our overall health.
Poor dental hygiene and untreated dental problems can lead to several health issues.
The mouth serves as an entry point to our body for bacteria, viruses, and other harmful microorganisms. These microorganisms can cause infections and inflammation in the gums, leading to periodontal disease, which in turn is linked to heart disease, diabetes, and respiratory ailments such as pneumonia.
Additionally, poor oral health has also been linked to pregnancy complications and low birth weight in newborns. Why are we not told this?
Bad breath and dental pain may affect our mental health and self-esteem, leading to anxiety and depression. Our confidence and lack of effects every area of our lives.
It’s crucial to maintain good dental hygiene, brushing and flossing regularly us a must, but so is tongue scraping and the use of interdental brushes. If you are able, visiting the dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings, and seeking prompt treatment for any dental problems is highly highly receommended, however, given the state of NHS dental care in the UK many of us struggle to find a dentist who will have us on their books.
Poor dental health can lead to a variety of diseases and health issues;
1. Tooth decay: Poor dental health can cause cavities or tooth decay, which can lead to pain, infection, and tooth loss. Our Brightening Antioxidant Toothpaste is packed full of antioxidant goodness and will fight cavities, tooth decay and much more – all without fluoride or SLS… it’s kind of magical…
2. Gum disease: Gum disease or periodontal disease is an infection of the gums and soft tissues that support the teeth. It can lead to tooth loss and other health problems. Our dental floss will start you out on your quest for healthy gums also drawing on the gum loving goodness of peppermint and charcoal.
3. Heart disease: Poor dental health has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, as the bacteria from gum disease can enter the bloodstream and potentially cause inflammation in the arteries. Another useful tool in your gum loving kit are our sustainable bamboo interdentals.
4. Respiratory problems: Poor dental health can also lead to respiratory problems, as the bacteria from gum disease can be inhaled into the lungs and cause infections or pneumonia. Our Sonic Wave Electric Toothbrush has a setting dedicated to gum care, just the right pulsation to massage our gums into perfect pink health.
5. Diabetes: There is a two-way relationship between poor dental health and diabetes. People with diabetes are more susceptible to gum disease, and gum disease can make it harder to control blood sugar levels. Using a tongue scraper can remove bacteria from your mouth leaving a nice clean slate for flossing and getting rid of more bacteria.
6. Kidney disease: Poor dental health has also been linked to an increased risk of kidney disease, as the bacteria from gum disease may enter the bloodstream and affect the kidneys. Therefore, maintaining good dental health is important for overall health and well-being.
Taking care of your dental and oral health at home with a correct dental routine we can improve our overall health, well-being, and quality of life.
For 5 minutes cleaning, flossing and tongue scraping in the morning and evening will help keep all of the above at bay – yep, just 10 minutes a day is all it takes.
When you use Organically Epic’s dental products you’ll be rest assured that you’re doing the best for your dental health, overall health and the health off the planet.