Coconut oil is an amazing ingredient and has been found to be beneficial for dental and oral health in several ways:
- Reducing harmful bacteria: Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which has antibacterial properties. When used as a mouthwash (in a process known as oil pulling), it can help reduce the amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth that can cause gum disease and tooth decay.
- Fighting bad breath: Because coconut oil can help reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth, it can also help combat bad breath.
- Preventing tooth decay: Coconut oil has been found to be effective in fighting the Streptococcus mutans bacteria, which is a major cause of tooth decay.
- Promoting healthy gums: Coconut oil’s anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce inflammation and swelling of the gums, promoting overall gum health.
- Moisturizing and protecting the mouth: Coconut oil can help moisturize and protect the oral tissues, reducing the risk of dry mouth and other oral health issues.